Monday, August 24, 2009

Rise and Shine

My eyes slowly opened. It was dark, but the street light shed a faint glow across my current resting place. The gutter, obviously a less than desirable bed, was co-inhabited by a disease spreading monstrosity...a rat. As my "friend" continued down the street, shortly after passing roughly a foot and a half past my face, I became aware of a drilling pain centralized in the back of my skull. Sitting up on the curb, my hand moved across a large knot on the back of my head. I didn't need the warm liquid on my finger tips to confirm I was heavily bleeding. The dark, almost blackish, puddle where my head lay moments ago had made that message abundantly clear. Despite the fact I could barely see, primarily because the painful pulse bumping through my brain blurred my vision, I managed to stagger to my feet. Instinctively I felt my pockets for the essentials: wallet, cell phone, and keys. I had none of the aforementioned items, and needless to say began spewing an endless stream of obscenities...I've been known to do that in times of extreme frustration.

None of the buildings in my general vicinity were of any familiarity, so with head down I walked to the closest intersection. Surprise Surprise, I had never heard of these streets. Questions such as, "How the fuck did I get here?" and "Why in the hell is my head bashed open?" would have been mysteries I would have started trying to answer, but thinking only made my head hurt more. Home was the only place I wanted to be and the only riddle I was willing to tackle at the moment. Several minutes later, and a few blocks distance from where I came to, I noticed the lake was only about a block and half to my right. I knew the lack of buildings close to the lake would provide a good enough vantage to gain some sort of bearings. I picked up my pace and headed lake ward.

The bright lights from the city were clearly visible filling the night sky to my south...the direction I needed to go, since I only lived about a $5 cab ride north of downtown. What I would assume was a 3 hour walk felt like 12, and was filled with perhaps 50 people starring at me in horror. A few, I surmise, would have tried to approach me, though my blood soaked shirt and awkward steps kept everyone at a distance...on the other side of the street. Nothing says welcome to the neighborhood like a scowling face and the compulsory tightened clutch of one's wallet/purse.

I finally recognized some buildings, eventually some streets, and managed to get home. Keys being gone and all I was forced to throw a rock, discovered in a neighbors garden, through my window. At that point I really didn't care about a broken window. Getting to my bed was the only objective...by any means necessary. I probably would have thrown a small child threw the window had one been handier than the rock next door. The last thought I had, directly before I feel into an Aspirin induced slumber, was, "Hopefully my third day living in Chicago goes a little better."

This being my first blog and first posting on said blog, I had absolutely no idea what to write...so I made something up! Wouldn't that have been a great story had it been true? Wouldn't a reader think, "Wow, this guy lives a crazy intriguing life?" I would think people would read my first posting and just come salivating back for more, most likely checking daily to catch the next mysterious installment in the life of Pat. But, since it wasn't an actual event what will potential readers think of me now? I most likely have sealed my fate as a blogger on the first posting. I'll take my chances. Other than the fact I am not native to Chicago, and I live somewhere north of downtown, my story is sadly fictional. Fear not reader, I have plenty of exciting tales (ones that actually happened) and random thoughts that will soon fill your eagerly awaiting brains. Okay, since I don't know how to wrap this opening blog up, I will just do it abruptly.

P.S. I started this blog because a friend of mine knew I liked to write and sent me a link to blogspot.com or where ever it is I am currently writing this crap. But about halfway through my little story I realized no one is reading this. I have no idea how anyone would happen upon it, let alone take the time to read the whole thing. Then, to top it all off, I finished the story and started talking to "readers!" Point being, this whole first time blogging experience has made me feel completely insane. I might as well be facing a wall and talking out loud to myself. Or better yet, I should go downtown and just start shouting at people walking by...I would have vastly more people listening to me.

1 comment:

  1. I'll take the honor of being your first follower. More will come, you just have to advertise. Start a fierce grassroots campaign for Pat's Spin. Hit the streets harder than Lawrence Phillips' girlfriend in '94. I'll check back regularly hoping for more (better proofread) posts. Keep it up!

    -RJB

    ReplyDelete